The current term of office of United States Magistrate Judge Sonja F. Bivins, United States District Court, Southern District of Alabama, is due to expire on February 1, 2020. The United States District Court is required by law to establish a Panel of citizens to consider the reappointment of the Magistrate Judge to a new eight-year term.
The duties of the position are demanding and wide-ranging and include the following:
(1) Preside over preliminary proceedings in criminal cases;
(2) Trial and disposition of some misdemeanor cases;
(3) Preside over pretrial matters and evidentiary proceedings in civil cases, on delegation from the Judges of the District Court;
(4) Trial and disposition of civil cases with consent of the litigants; and
(5) Jury selection in most civil and criminal cases.
Comments from members of the Bar and the public are invited as to whether the incumbent Magistrate Judge should be recommended by the Panel for reappointment by the Court. Comments should be marked “Confidential” and directed to:
Charles R. Diard, Jr., Clerk
U. S. District Court
Southern District of Alabama
155 St. Joseph Street
Mobile, AL 36602
Comments must be received by close of business September 1, 2019.