If you have received an email indicating that you owe a readmission fee, please review the information below to ensure you remain in good standing to practice in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama. If you need to be admitted to practice for the first time in the Southern District of Alabama, please go to the Instructions for Attorney Admission page.
Effective September 1, 2009, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama began requiring re-admission to the Bar every five years. Readmission does not apply to Federal Government or Pro Hac Vice attorneys. Members whose admission date is greater than five years shall electronically submit to the Clerk certification respecting their eligibility to remain as members of the bar in good standing, together with the renewal fee prescribed by the court ($50.00). If your original admission date is more than five years ago, you must readmit. The readmission process consists of logging into the court's CM/ECF system and using the Attorney Readmission event to e-file certification. The process will be the same as any other electronic submission you make to the court through CM/ECF, however, this will be a text only entry; no document will be associated. Payment will be made online by credit card during the event. Attorneys failing to submit certification and renewal fee within 60 days from the date a readmission email is received shall cease to be members in good standing until such certification and renewal fee is submitted. If you have any difficulty with the process, please call us at 251-690-2371.
Steps for Readmission
- Click here to login to the court's CM/ECF system - https://ecf.alsd.uscourts.gov/
- Once logged in, select the Civil Menu
- Select the Attorney Readmission event under the heading Attorney Information
- Use the following miscellaneous case number format: CurrentYear-mc-3000 (i.e. 21-mc-3000) for readmission.
- Follow the prompts, including the credit card payment screen, until the event is complete and submitted. Please do not use your back button after you have submitted the credit card screen as this may result in double payment.